Modern diet comprises majorly of sugary content. They are loaded with sweeteners which result to weight gain, obesity, cancer and may more… Here are 5 things that happens to your body when you eat too much sugar:
- Weight gain: High consumption of sugary foods and drinks leads to weight gain. Sugar-sweetened beverages, particularly soda, provide little nutritional benefit and increased weight gain. Your body needs glucose to survive but never consume more than you need. Keep the soda intake minimal to reduce the effect of weight gain.
- Increase risk of diabetes: When you eat anything with glucose in it, your body will release insulin because that’s what helps your body process glucose into energy. When people have too much sugar at once, there’s a large release of insulin and you can develop insulin resistance. With insulin resistance, your body cannot properly absorb the glucose fast enough, which causes the glucose to build up in your bloodstream and liver.
- Increase risk of Heart disease: High-sugar intake have been associated with an increased risk of heart disease. Evidence suggests that high-sugar diets can lead to obesity, inflammation and high triglyceride, blood sugar and blood pressure levels — all risk factors for heart disease.
- Risk of Cancer: Eating excessive amounts of sugar may increase your risk of developing certain cancers. A diet rich in sugary foods and beverages can lead to obesity, which significantly raises your risk of cancer. High sugar consumption is positively associated with an increased risk of esophageal cancer, pleural cancer and cancer of the small intestine.
- Risk of Depression: This might look strange but it’s true. Consuming a lot of processed foods, including high-sugar products such as cakes and sugary drinks, has been associated with a higher risk of depression. Researchers believe that blood sugar swings, neurotransmitter dysregulation and inflammation may all be reasons for sugar’s detrimental impact on mental health.
- Accelerated aging: Poor food choices can speed up skin aging process and worsen wrinkles. Consuming a diet high in refined carbs and sugar leads to the production of AGEs( Advanced gylcation end products) which may cause your skin to age prematurely.
Added sugars aren’t a necessary nutrient in your diet. Small amounts are fine but they can cause serious harm if regularly eaten in large amounts. The best way to avoid hidden sugars in your meals is to make them at home so you know exactly what’s in them or check the label to identify the ingredients.