The Matrix was released in the year 1999… Written and produced by The Wachowskis, the top grossing movie starred Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, and Joe Pantoliano. At that time of its release, I saw the movie with my brother and we later tried decoding the embedded codes in the movie and left with the impression that The Matrix was all guns and bullets made to look interesting.
My 100 Cents on The Matrix
Fast forward 18 years later, I am attending a Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) class in July 2017 and we’re given the same movie as a class assignment!! It’s amazing how things make sense when you have the knowledge and do something intentionally. Just this past week, I decided to see the movie again… so, here are some direct quotes from the film and my accompanying thoughts and learning points I believe can change your life. Let’s call it Emem reloaded shall we?
- Trinity lures Neo into a club to tell him the truth: “It is the questions that drive us, it is the question that brought you here, do you know the question?”
The questions you ask help you get the answers you need. The answers find you by driving you to ask the right questions. Keep asking, keep seeking and Keep knocking.
- Neo is rescued from a dream world and needs combat training so he can fight when the time comes. Morpheus tells him “don’t try to hit me just do it, do not believe you can, know you can. I am trying to free your mind. I can only show you the door but you’re the one that has to walk through it.”
Believing and knowing are two different things. When you believe you are or can do something the fact is maybe you cannot really do it, belief can be challenged. Knowing you can is an absolute. You possess the knowledge, skills etc, you’re the expert no questions asked. Do not only believe you can, know that you can, you possess all you need to become the best version of yourself.
- Neo takes his first jumping programme and falls, Cypher (the traitor) says “everybody falls the first time”
It doesn’t matter who or what you are, if you’re trying anything out the first time it’s not out of place to fall, fail or make mistakes. Understand that this is part of the learning process and it happens to everybody. You must therefore arise, dust yourself up and try again.
- Just before Neo meets the oracle, he meets a boy in the waiting room who tells him: “Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible instead only try to realize the truth, there is no spoon, then you will see that it is not the spoon that bends it is only yourself”
He tries this and the spoon begins to bend! (Say what?!). When you are open and flexible you can achieve the impossible!!!
- Neo meets the oracle and she predicts that the vase beside him will get broken, Neo say sorry and the oracle replies saying “what is really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you have still broken it if I hadn’t said anything.”
This particular one still has me on the edge, how many of us go through life based on some earlier prediction or the other? Avoiding, not doing, afraid! Think!!! Would it still have happened anyway?
- Another thing the oracle said is “Know thyself, being the one is just like falling in love, no one can tell you you’re the one, you just have to know.” She also says “You’ve got the gift but it looks as if you’re waiting for something… ”
Again, all the answers you need are already inside of you, no one can tell you, you need to discover it for yourself. Stop waiting for the big bang, start with whatever is in your hands right now.
- Neo says to Morpheus “Are you telling me I can dodge bullets?” Morpheus replies “I am trying to tell you that when you are ready, you won’t have to.” (This plays out in the final scene where he defeats the agents)
When you are truly ready for anything, it doesn’t matter what is thrown at you, you will be able to face it or them and overcome. You don’t even need to think about it, it would be like driving a car after you have mastered the technique.
BONUS: One more thing I cannot help but add – Morpheus is captured by the agents and agent Smith says “I need to find Zion so I can get out of this black hole”
The enemy you think you’re fighting is also fighting his own demons. Use your challenges and detractors to get ahead, they keep propelling you to do better!
I could go on and on, as I have seen this movie thrice just recently and I just keep on learning more each time. So go watch it and add to these points I have put down, send them to me in the comments.
About The Writer
Emem Iniobong Orok is Lead Consultant at EmsStrands Global Services, a Hair and Beauty Concerns Company in Akwa Ibom. A scholar of Neuro Linguistics Programming (NLP), Emem recently completed an Entrepreneurial Management course sponsored by the World Bank in the Enterprise Development Centre, a winner of the Road to Growth Fellowship program sponsored by the Cherie Blair foundation for a hundred women in Nigeria. Connect with Emem on Instagram