The mouth is an essential part of the body for effective communication among other essential functions. You do not want to go about with mouth odour, having conversations with people and causing them to squint in pain from horrible smell. It is important to take good care of your oral cavity and make oral health a priority. You really can lose a job, gig or even relationship because of bad breath! Not to worry, we’ve got you covered.
7 tips to boost your oral health
1. Be a two-timer – It is advisable you brush your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste with a minimum time of 2mins. Using a Fluoride toothpaste contributes to strong bones and reduces the chances of tooth decay.
2. Fight with floss – Most times when we eat, some pieces of food get stuck in between our teeth. Use dental floss daily to help keep gum healthy. Don’t be too aggressive with the floss: you risk harming your gums.
3. You are what you eat – Make healthy food choices. Eat food rich in calcium. Nutritious food, low in sugar are good for both oral and overall health.
4. Re-think your drinks – Drinking sweetened beverages and acidic fluids increases your risk of developing cavities. It is recommended to reduce the intake of sweetened beverage.
5. Check yourself before you wreck yourself – Check your mouth once a mouth. Know what’s normal and what doesn’t seem right. In case you have a sore that doesn’t heal in 2 weeks it’s advisable you see a health professional.
6. Butt out – Choose to be tobacco free. Using tobacco products can stain your teeth and I craze your risk of oral cancer. It’s advisable you stay away from tobacco products.
7. Take them down the drain – Rinse your mouth with antiseptic mouthwash to kill germs that causes cavities and gum disease, send them all down the drain without mercy.
written by Agbaje Omoniyi