By Adaeze Aghanwa Aghadiuno | Photographed by Metezy
Cauliflower is one of the healthiest and most nutritious vegetables in the world today. A member of the cancer-fighting cruciferous family of vegetables, this superfood is packed with lots of vitamins, fiber, carotenoids, soluble sugars, essential minerals and natural antioxidants.
Recent research shows that cauliflower has been recommended for treatment of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, chronic neurodegenerative disorders, cancer and weight loss just to mention a few.
It’s no wonder dieticians especially low carb diets like the LCHF, Keto and even vegetarians have made this one of their staple with just 25 calories per 100g serving.
Benefits of Cauliflower
1 Antioxidants Power: Antioxidants are molecules that interact with free radicals to stop oxidation stress. Free radicals cause cell damage the cauliflower is packed with these vitamins that keeps the body healthy.
- It Aids Digestion: cauliflower has high level of fiber. Consuming enough fiber may help prevent digestive conditions like constipation, diverticulitis and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Furthermore, studies show that a diet high in fiber-rich vegetables like cauliflower is linked with a lower risk of several illnesses including heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
- Aids in Weight Loss – Cauliflower has several properties that may help with losing weight. First, it is low in calories with only 25 calories per cup, so you can eat a lot of it without gaining weight. It can also serve as a low-calorie substitute for high-calorie foods, such as rice and flour.
- Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, an extensively studied antioxidant. According to some studies, sulforaphane may also have the potential to stop cancer growth by destroying cells that are already damaged.
CAULI-RICE WITH MIXED VEGETABLES & GRILLED TILIPIA
Yield: 4 servings
2 florets cauliflower (1 cup “riced” cauliflower)
1 cup grated cauliflower
Red bell pepper (chopped)
Green bell pepper (chopped)
Yellow bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 kilo Shrimps
1/2 kilo Tilipia
Tallow (Beef fat) for frying you can also use extra virgin coconut oil
2 cloves garlic
- “Rice” the cauliflower by grating with a hand grater
- Add chicken fat to wok
- Add fennel and a tablespoon of grated garlic and cooked for a minute
- Add seasoned prawns and cook for 3-minutes
See full recipe directions, plus more yummy and healthy cauliflower recipes in the latest edition of Glazia HERE
Connect with Adaeze on Instagram @adaeze_aghanwa