If you are like some of us, you are back to work but still struggling to fight off the sweet and lazy holiday funk. To excel in your career or anything in life, you would oftentimes, need to go down the untraveled path. We have outlined 7 career quotes from famous achievers that we have interpreted to give you the much needed zing to not only get back in to work mode, but help you take your best shot at success this year and beyond.
- Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success” – Paul J. Meyer
Interpretation: No man is an island, communicate and relate well with other people if you really want to succeed. Invest in your network this year and collaborate more
- “I think I might have been a more interesting actor, had more of a career earlier on, if I had more formal preparation. When I see something ten years later that I was in I think, ‘Boy, would I love to do that over” – Sam Elliott
Interpretation: Invest in relevant knowledge this year and learn more so you can have an edge.
- “The biggest mistake that you can make is to believe that you are working for somebody else. Job security is gone. The driving force of a career must come from the individual. Remember: Jobs are owned by the company, you own your career!” – Earl Nightingale
Interpretation: Nobody is coming to save you. Take ownership, be a boss and lead from within, be self-motivated and add value wherever you are.
- “I probably hold the distinction of being one movie star who, by all laws of logic, should never have made it. At each stage of my career, I lacked the experience” – Audrey Hepburn
Interpretation: Don’t let any rule stop you from achieving your career dreams. Be bold, dive in and get that which you want. Being bold in the face of uncertainty will help give you and the people around you have courage to keep striving and head for the top.
- “I love the idea of renaissance. If my career is like painting a canvas, I want to have as many different colors in there as I can” – Nolan Gerard Funk
Interpretation: Stay true to who you are but don’t be afraid to reinvent yourself. Do something different and unique and always know how to stay relevant in your career.
- “I feel ups and downs are a part of one’s career, and this totally depends on how you take it. You can either be knocked down by the negative things, or you can take it in a positive way and learn from it” – Deepika Padukone
Interpretation: After all has been said and done, failure is a part of the success process. If you do not achieve that career goal, get that new job, land that promotion, finish that business or win that contract just now, you can always try again. Never give up, never stop trying… learn from your failures!
- “I think there’s no higher calling in terms of a career than public service, which is a chance to make a difference in people’s lives and improve the world” – Jack Lew
Interpretation: Impact is a great part of success, start from where you are and make other people’s lives better as much as you can.
photo credit: Getty Images